WHAT IS TO BE DONE IN AMERICA
A Speech to the Cordeliers Club in November 2020
What is to be Done in America?
An speech given from New York City, 2020/5780
There is an uprising happening in the United States of America. It is the response to a brutish President and the irresponsible management of a pandemic, catalyzed by the televised lynching of a black man. To succeed in achieving real change, real justice this uprising will require a conscience and a soul. It must address on a structural level, as well as on a policy level ugly injustices of racist apartheid. It must at the same address glaring inequalities of wealth. Both between the American worker and the American Oligarch, but also the way American wealth and privilege has been built on the backs of black, brown, white and yellow labor exploited abroad.
So many terrible things happen in the world that the natural human reaction is to un-see, perhaps also to un-know and thus un-feel. But as the latest body count rises, as long ignored ugly truths play on repeat, that position is irresponsible.
Did you know that just two months before the death of George Floyd an Emergency Medical Technician in Kentucky named Breonna Taylor was gunned down in her sleep in a botched no-knock Police raid? You might know that now, but at the time the Covid-19 Pandemic drowned it out. Unconsciously on your phone and television you are fed happy, individualistic disinformation. Consciously, you make choices about what to spend your time on. Sports not history, porn not philosophy. Shopping not researching. Movies on a fantasy life you cannot probably lead and of course religion, promises of eternal paradise, but only when you die.
What you can know and what you can feel is on a highly manipulated spectrum in America. A product of a deliberate set of policies, multiple variations based on your class and skin tone and an elite consensus on how and who should run this country, and by default an empire. What is perhaps still more shocking than the televised lynching of an African American is the strange quiet that accompanies the deaths of over 120,000 highly vulnerable Americans from Covid-19. The majority will be proven to be people of color ill served by long de-funded health systems, living in the various ghettos of America, as well as the elderly abandoned to places that deliver neither nursing, or a home.
Despite rage and rhetoric, this was not the first and will not be the last series of lynching of a person of color in America. It will hopefully be the last time hundreds of thousands will die because of their race and their class deemed the second, third, fourth and fifth class citizens by public policy.
Not to mince words, all the many material comforts, relative security and general prosperity this nation enjoys is built on four highly uncomfortable truths that exist outside the written law. Assailing an individual pillar of the Ziggurat will not result in real system change. Each pillar is holding up a vast injustice which capitalizes on the apathy and inaction of the American people.
- The first pillar is an ongoing Violent Hegemony imposed on most other nations abroad that we all subsidize with our taxes. The result being a trade in working class American military lives abroad for an above average European quality of life and our own imperial ambitions. 800 bases in 70 foreign nations are there to enforce the economic prosperity of the United States.
- The second pillar is an extra legal system of Racial Apartheid that in fairly obvious terms places a tiny group of ultra wealthy Euro-American oligarchs on the very top. Supporting the architecture of that system is a skilled professional and technical class mostly of Whites, Asians (6%) and Jews (1.7%). A majoritarian mass of White European settler descents as an imagined “Middle Class” (59.1% of population), a Latino/Hispanic labor class below it (18.3%), a largely subjugated the African descent reserve menial labor population (13.4%) and the remnant of the Native Indian population (1.5%). The lack of legal segregation and legislation to support Apartheid by no means prevents it from operating as such a system.
- The third pillar is the popular rejection of “Class Consciousness”, where strangely most of the nation works almost their entire life believing they are a part of the “Middle Class“.
- The Fourth Pillar is a legalized, institutionalized Political Bribery. This political system is not a “democracy” and your vote really does not matter. The two party system is a large expensive game of special interests making enormous campaign contributions that allow access to create new laws advantageous to corporations. But America, like Russia and China, like all nations in existence is a Corporate Oligarchy.
Americans have been systematically directed through low levels of education (under 30% have a college education) and inoculated by our mass media and hyper-materialistic consumer culture to basically reject a class analysis of modern political events. Most Americans do not have the interest or formal education to even be aware of the full extent of violent interventions the nation is currently engaged in directly or by proxy.
The majority of our people are just too busy, kept constantly working our entire lives at places that do not really sustain or profit us.
- Through Mass Incarceration and Racialized Aggressive Policing generations of people of color were disenfranchised, households broken up and large swaths of the population reduced to a below minimum wage captive labor pool.
- Through Grossly Inadequate Public Social Services entire neighborhoods were Ghettoized and reduced to cheap domestic labor reserves that we call “the Ghettos and Barrios”.
- Through the Relative High Level of Material Comfort available to virtually all classes of Americans most people tolerate the system as it stands. No one starves in the streets of America by choice. We have Regressive Welfare for the poor and Amazon Prime for the Middle Class or anyone that can afford it. But like everywhere else the best things go to the elites.
- If you set the bar very low and others reinforce your low objective for validation, then it may actually seem like progress. Daily demonstrations increased the charges on the officers who killed George Floyd, led to the tearing down of Confederate Statues, the Cos-play of the Seattle C.H.A.P./C.H.A.Z., so-called “Autonomous Zone” and a mainstream debate on “de-funding the police.
That optimism is wholly unfounded. This is not a real set of emerging victories. These are token expressions of first amendment rights inside a well contained system, a pressurized cage for acceptable dissent. But when you have no real historical context for your valid righteous anger and when you have no way to achieve a true majority (African Americans, their actual allies and White progressive liberals if and when combined do not constitute even 50% of this country’s electorate), you will just march in a very large circle within the confines of your glass ceiling and soft cage.
Paired nicely with over 120,000 and rising Covid-19 deaths, two months of varying lockdowns the now daily marches of mostly peaceful protesters is exactly the kind of acceptable dissent this nation will tolerate. Endless marches that are in fact a theater. A game for the unemployed, under employed and college students. But the game has pre-rigged rules. Dissidents will be data based with facial recognition software, no physical space will be allowed to be occupied for long, and no matter what rhetorical games liberal Democrats and progressives play with Police Budgets. The economic order will not change. The Two Party Plutocracy will not yield. The legalized bribery of campaign finance will not be reformed.
But now here we can look closely at Modern American history lessons:
- More people drown in bathtubs than die in Islamist terror attacks in the United States, but somehow and muti-billion dollar 20 year blank check for war has been allowed by the American Tax payer.
- There is no Credible American left, there is a large and well armed Libertarian Right.
- Organized Labor is thuggish, conservative, largely discredited and is less than 10.3% of the total American workforce.
- If organized labor is radicalized it will be forcibly disbanded.
- There is not a unified African American or Latino/Hispanic voting or buying block. Demographically neither ethnic group is large enough to force a policy shift.
- If a public space or building is occupied or any property is threatened then the iron heel of the state will come down hard and fast.
- If a Black Messiah arises he or she will be killed.
- If a collective rebel leadership emerges, they will be imprisoned, murdered or discredited by the 17 Agencies of State Repression that we know exist.
- If you talk about “class” and talk about “robust publicly funded social programs” they will discredit you as “Communist“.
- If a movement ever effectively combines demands for racial and economic justice it will be made public enemy number one.
- Pre-2020 Uprising there was already the highest prisoner to population ratio on earth, 1 in 147 citizens and 1 in 8 black men.
If the following elements of a Resistance and Solution process are not put in place immediately all the demonstrations and countless deaths will be for nothing. They will not enact the change we need. This uprising will fail like all the ones before it. This is not tactical advocacy. It is one of strategy, alignment of vision and of an “Anti-Necessitarian ideology”— i.e. it is also Democratic, and Confederalist.
It is actually mobilizing the citizens to participate and vote and partake in community Governance, its administrative units actually evaluate and regulate their own independence-interdependence. It has fusion elements of both the left and the right. It is not ideologically dogmatic on individual social policies. It is not historically determinant/ millenarian forcing its thinking into supposed historic rules and determinations.
In America Today
- We have to End all Special Interest Campaign Financing, lower the wages of politicians and publicly fund all campaigns ending the mockery of American legalized, formalized bribery.
- We have to legislatively challenge Class and Ethnic Discrimination in all public and social services.
- We have to lower the funding for the Police, Prisons, Corrections, Intelligence services and the Military.
- We have to massively raise funding massively on Health, Education, Housing and Infrastructure.
- We must Form new political Parties that actually represent American workers and the American Working Class.
- We must acknowledge an American Apartheid and see it fully defeated. We must acknowledge a race-class discrimination where certain citizens gain better opportunities, jobs, schools, hospitals and lives based on their identity. We must acknowledge that oppression or discrimination against any identity constitutes a crime against us all as society, but there is a hierarchy of oppression and protecting the most vulnerable communities is a responsibility for all.
- There must be a Compulsory National Service System created mandatory to all citizens age 18 to 21, through such a service we will create national unity, rebuild the nation, staff the civil services/military and reward our young people with free college educations and free health care.
- We must Naturalize every person currently residing in our country and create a more just system for immigration.
- We must must ensure a Democratic Meritocracy based on real ability not wealth and private connections to prevail in this country. To that end we should nationalize all schools, universities, health faculties and not allow private privilege to reign. The national service will be all citizens road to a equality of health and education placing all groups on even footing to begin their careers.
- We must end all overseas imperialism and interventionist activities. We must shut down the majority of our overseas military bases, abolish all treaties committing us to the defense of foreign nations including Europe, Japan, Taiwan and Israel. We must embrace a multilateral world and focus our spending on domestic self reliance.
- We must end the degrading and regressive welfare machine that perpetuates backwardness, dependency and multi-generational poverty. We must replace it with a safety net that protects the vulnerable and reintegrates the poor back into livelihoods with dignity.
- We must align our economic production to environmentally sustainable practices and make large scale policy level adjustments to prevent further environmental degradation.
- We must amend our constitution to reflect the norms of international Human Rights Law.
- We must be sincere and committed internationalists and understand that the arbitrary borders of invisible lines on a map should not break our collective human solidarity and the realization we have far more in common with each other than those who run our countries in our names, without tax dollars with zero accountability to their communities.
The Way Forward is not found in the history books and comes not from the left or right, these are antiquated and dis-proven political positions. The Liberals and Conservatives of the Democratic and Republican Parties have already discredited themselves with this two party charade which is in reality a Corporate Oligarchy of two flavors. Certainly we have no use for radical extremism, mass violence, theocratic backwardness and no use at all for grand social experiments. Such things only unleash misery, atrocity, endless repression and expansionist war.
We should be able to fully recognize the violence humans have the capability to unleash and cruelty we are capable of. The History of humanity is a blood bath, especially during state collapse, civil warfare or unaccountable “Utopian” experimentation.
- We require one or many Working Class Parties to be fully committed to dismantling a racist white supremacy.
- We require Democratic Autonomy to be the foundation of all social organizations.
- We require so-called Human Rights to be made binding on this nation at home and its actions abroad.
What is to be done in the United States of America? A fast fading empire, a powder keg of racial and political conflict ready to blow? Will we turn inward and isolationist? Will we once again put a facade of paint on colonial manor and call it by a new name? The sea is rising. The virus is a taste of things to come. The murders of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor were the latest on a very long list of casualties. One Party offers you a billionaire real estate tycoon, a friend of a pedophile and a rapist, a thief and thug. Another Party offers you a crappy, senile old man, a hang over from the last presidency. There is no viable third option. It doesn’t matter if they put on a populist “democratic socialist” face, a “gay”, female, a Latina or a “progressive” face. It doesn’t matter at all. This is a White Supremacist Settler slave state. This is an Oligarchy. The quality of life here is based on exploiting fully people all over the world.
What is to be done is to connect the dots, unite the factions and develop the resolve to fight. Begin drawing the connection between exploited labor, racial apartheid and Oligarchy masquerading as “Democracy.”
Only the renunciation of a systematic privilege for European descendants will result in Emancipation for all people and an actual Equality before the law.
Only the realization that we are “workers” and our labor makes other people rich, that we will work until we die; only when we see fellow humans and not racist paradigms of division and hate; only then will we realize that somewhere between bullets and ballots there is a middle road to our freedom. Only then the restoration of a Republic whose liberty has been based on others long term suffering, on pretty words alone, can ever be really free.
Then collective action will begin, the veil of hypocrisy must be torn off, our privileges relinquished and “American Exceptional-ism” will then be a reflection of an actual muti-ethnic democracy, that actually upholds the high minded values it espouses and is in the world a force for a greater good, not a predator, not a violator not a thief.
We do not attempt to appeal to your guilt, hope, shame, ego, self interest, ideals or your patriotism. We ask you to draw your motivation from what you see before your eyes. Atrophy, injustice and apathetic glut existing right alongside pandemic death and state sponsored murder.
What is to be done in America? Unite the working class and defeat white supremacy. Just another socialist scheme to fight for human rights? Or something this country was founded to inevitably be strong enough to achieve.
What is to be Done Right Now
There are eight basic and immediate things you are being asked to do in “the North”, which is to say the U.S.A., Europe, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand. The primary O.E.C.D. beneficiaries of the global system supply chain, otherwise known as “the Core”. While civil liberty protections are supposedly the most advanced, so are the mechanism of the surveillance state, intelligence services and sophistication of torture.
First. Take off your safety pin and examine your privileges. Stop wearing anything or saying anything that could get you reported to the secret police. The USA has 17 known agencies to keep track of you. Get out of the habit of reporting your thoughts and location to Social Media. Please begin consciously avoiding your purchase or collection of subversive materials like books or attending meetings and events that will get you noticed as opposed to the regime. You are being recorded at every demonstration you attend.
Second. Take out your cell phone and remove the battery. Practice this drill as often as possible. If you cannot remove the battery of the Apple phone, that is because it was designed that way. Turn it off and practice placing it in another room. That is a listening and tracking device that is being used to monitor you. Utilize the time that the phone is off or in another room to make love to your husband or wife, cook a meal and or engage in discourse with your friends about what is to be done in this state of emergency.
Third. You are being asked to begin auditing your time. In that much of your northern life is lived vicariously through electronic devices. You are being asked to count the minutes and hours you spend on television, movies, social media, sports you’re not playing and sex you’re not having. After that audit we encourage your realignment to real physical activity, real emotional engagement and real learning. Real time with friends and family. Then audit your new mood.
Fourth. You are being asked to purchase a dark gray, light gray, navy blue or tan uniform and place on the left arm the flag of your country and on the right arm your profession or rank if you have one, such as teacher, lawyer, paramedic or engineer. You are to put your last name on the right breast. Now you are wearing a uniform. And if or when you are captured you will be entitled to Geneva accord protections and not simply be executed or disappeared into indefinite detention as a terrorist. You are now a uniformed combatant and a patriot, welcome to the army of the resistance. As frightening as it may be that you will possibly be killed or captured, there are very strong odds you will survive and history will absolve you. As you are now actively resisting a holocaust, make no mistake about the unprecedented atrocity being carried out.”
Fifth, you are being asked to prepare hiding places in your homes for undocumented people and movement activists. They can be complex such as flash walls in attics basements or floors. They can be stocked with provisions and bedding. They can accommodate one person or perhaps a whole family. Be prepared mentally to risk the lives and freedom of yourself and your family to hide fellow human beings slated for arrest or deportation. Drill and coordinate moving people from cities to rural areas and familiarize yourself with the surveillance capabilities of your district. There are cameras virtually everywhere.
Sixth, you are being asked to boycott the following products, designer electronic devices. Chocolate. Beef. Coffee. Petrol/ Diesel/Gas/Oil. Pornography. Shrimp. Textiles made outside of your own region. We can start with those. It is not important what specific brand. You need to remove your personal buying power from those specific product and commodity lines. They are all tied directly to the full exploitation of fellow humans at home and abroad.
Seventh, you are being asked to acquire one firearm for each member of your household. You are to begin drilling in its use and to keep a stockpile of non-lethal ammunition adequate for the defense of your building. As the political right had done for decades, you and your friends should begin regularly and discretely exercising your second amendment right. If you are a practitioner of nonviolence you are asked to buy bulletproof vests for your neighbor that will be willing to face the police forces, military and National Guard with a firearm that had no lethal rounds in it. You may also nonviolently contribute to bail and equipment bond funds. You could also nonviolently help build the smuggling tunnels and compartments to hide people in the sanctuary cities.
Eighth, for any major escalation in the state of emergency or atrocities being committed by our police forces or military, you are being asked to help knock out power generating facilities in your city, paralyze public transit to obstruct the work week and obstruct trucking operations on major roadways. All resistance activities are to cause maximum economic disruption at minimal loss of life at all costs. You ought to plan to accomplish that with no loss of human life if possible.
You will likely be arrested shortly after your involvement in a raid or operation. While the resistance will not dictate to you what constitutes a justification for an armed action, surely if you open the paper or read objective reports, an atrocity is occurring every hour of every single day. Insofar as you affiliate yourself at heart or in deed with the resistance in the North, it is really up to the consensus of your own community and companions to dictate what actions you will take. Suffice to say at this juncture you will only be able to rely on the resources of you and your band, we can contribute only in solidarity or attempts at liberation if you are caught. Which you will be. Remember that of all the rights we wage this war for, the right to life is the only one we can never take away from our enemies. But we are no longer school children and surely the enemy kills with indiscriminate impunity.
GET IN TOUCH
We are always available for side collaborations and talks worldwide. If you want to chat, don’t hesitate in reaching out.